The term “dizziness” means different things to different people. It can be used to describe true vertigo (spinning sensation), lightheadedness, disequilibrium, a feeling of faintness, confusion, difficulty walking, feeling off balance, etc. “Dizziness” is one of the most common reasons that people seek care from a doctor and can have a variety of causes, including medication-effects, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular issues, neurological disorders, psychiatric illness or ear-related problems. Vestibular dysfunction (ear-related dizziness) is only one of many potential causes of dizziness. Dr. Jacob, the most experienced Otologist/Neurotologist in Tucson, deals specifically with the treatment of ear-related dizziness:
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)
- Meniere’s Disease
- Labyrinthitis/Vestibular Neuritis
- Perilymph Fistula
- Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SSCD)
- Infectious Ear Disease – Otitis Media / Cholesteatoma
- Temporal Bone and Posterior Fossa Tumors – for example, Acoustic Neuroma, Glomus Tumors
Typically managed by Neurologists rather than Neurotologists, another disorder frequently diagnosed in Dr. Jacob’s clinical practice is Migraine Associated Dizziness.
Why Choose Us
- Dr. Abraham Jacob, Medical Director for Ear & Hearing (E&H) at the Center for Neurosciences (CNS), is fellowship trained in Otology, Neurotology, and Cranial Base Surgery.
- Dr. Jacob was a founding member of the University of Arizona (UA) Department of Otolaryngology prior to his departure and transition to CNS. At UA, he was Vice Chair of ENT and held the rank of full Professor with Tenure. He has an international reputation as an expert for treating ear diseases.
- Dr. Jacob transitioned his practice to the Center for Neurosciences in early 2017 as he felt that the new environment helped him to optimize delivery of personalized ear and lateral skull base care.
- Dr. Jacob’s patients are offered only the most up-to-date treatment options. After failing medical therapy, several of the above listed conditions can be managed with in-office procedures or surgery. As the first Neurotologist/Cranial Base Surgeon in Tucson, Dr. Jacob is uniquely qualified to provide such procedural services to patients in the desert Southwest.
- Our highly-skilled Doctors of Audiology, Stephanie Bourn, AuD, CCC-A and Mary Rose Goldstein, AuD, CCC-A, strive to provide you with accurate information regarding your hearing status, promote understanding of your hearing and communication needs, increase your knowledge of evidence-based management and/or treatment options, and introduce you to the hearing health tools that can maximize your quality of life reducing the negative impact of hearing disorders.
Ear & Hearing Appointments
Our Otologist/Neurotologist specializes in the medical and surgical care of patients with disorders of the ear and lateral skull base. Otology/Neurotology and Audiology work together to offer complete hearing health solutions.
To schedule an appointment with our Ear & Hearing department, please call us at (520) 795-7750.
Our Physicians’ Goal
Our physicians’ goal is to provide the highest-quality neurological care– the same level of care we would want for ourselves or our loved ones.
We will help our patients to understand their condition, listen to their concerns, answer their questions, and provide the best clinical treatment available.