Dr. Bourn earned her Bachelor’s Degree and Doctorate of Audiology from the University of Arizona. She completed her Audiology externship at Seattle Children’s Hospital in 2015, and moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico to practice at Presbyterian Ear Institute. In August of 2015, Dr. Bourn moved back to Tucson and has been practicing pediatric audiology at Children’s Clinics for Rehabilitative Services.
Dr. Bourn provides diagnostic hearing evaluations, vestibular evaluations, electrophysiologic testing (ABR, VEMP, ENOG), hearing aid fittings, bone anchored hearing devices, and cochlear implant services for all ages. Dr. Bourn joined the Center for Neurosciences in 2017.
- Specialty: Audiology
- Special Areas of Expertise: diagnostic hearing evaluations, vestibular evaluations, electrophysiologic testing, hearing aid fittings, bone anchored hearing devices, and cochlear implant services
- Ear & Hearing at Center for Neurosciences
February 2017 – Present
- Children’s Clinics for Rehabilitative Services
August 2016 – February 2017
- Presbyterian Ear Institute
August 2015 – July 2016
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
June 2014 – May 2015
Seattle and Bellevue, Washington
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Banner – University Medical Center
March 2012 – May 2014
- Pediatrix Medical Group
Newborn Hearing Screener
St. Josephs Carondelet Hospital
June 2013 – March 2014
- University of Arizona
Graduate Research Assistant
August 2012 – July 2013
- Goldstein MR, Bourn S, Jacob A. Early Osia® 2 bone conduction hearing implant experience: Nationwide controlled-market release data and single-center outcomes. Am J Otolaryngol. 2021 Jan-Feb; 42(1):102818. doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2020.102818. Epub 2020 Oct 28. PMID: 33166860.
- Bourn S, Goldstein MR, Jacob A. Hearing preservation in elderly cochlear implant recipients [published ahead of print February 19, 2020]. Otol Neurotol. doi: 10.1097/MAO.0000000000002596.
- Bourn S, Goldstein MR, Jacob A. Cochlear Implant Outcomes in the Very Elderly. Am J Otolaryngol. 2021. In-press article.
- Podium Talk: AAA 2020: CI Featured Session: Identifying and supporting your patients throughout the continuum of care. April 2020, New Orleans, LA. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19
- Podium Talk: ACIA 2020: Cochlear: Maximizing the Possibilities for Every Patient (early Osia experience). March 202, Orlando, FL. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19. Recorded for CI2020 Online Program May 2020.
- Podium Talk: ACIA 2020: Decentralized network maintains high-quality and patient satisfaction. A two-year retrospective chart review from a high-volume cochlear implant center. March 202, Orlando, FL. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19.
- Neuroscience Symposium, August 2019: Hearing Loss & Dementia: the risk, the link, and the treatment, Tucson, AZ
- Parkinson’s Support Group at Center for Neurosciences, October 2018: Hearing Loss and Parkinson’s, Tucson, AZ
- Center for Neurosciences Foundation Memory Impairment & Alzheimer’s Expo, September 2018: Hearing Loss & Dementia, Tucson, AZ
- TMC Senior Services Neurology Series, January 2018: Tinnitus, Tucson, AZ
- TMC Senior Services Neurology Series, November 2017: Are You Experiencing Vertigo or Dizziness? Tucson, AZ
- EPICS 2016 Native American Conference on Special Education, March 2016: Children with Hearing Loss: A Roadmap for Academic Advocacy, Albuquerque, NM
- NMAYEC 2016 Early Childhood Annual Conference, March 2016: Mild Bilateral and Unilateral Hearing Loss: The Challenges, the Impact, and the Choices, Albuquerque, NM
- Native Calling (KUNM) Nationwide Call-In Radio Show, March 2016: in-studio guest for show “Children and Parents Cope with Deafness”, Albuquerque, NM
- University of New Mexico Principles of Audiology, February 2016: panel member for clinical experience for undergraduate students, Albuquerque, NM
- University of Arizona Innovations in Hearing and Balance Conference, October 2013. Au.D. Research Project: Comparison of Click and Rising-Frequency (RF) Chirp ABR Stimuli in infants, Tucson, AZ
- Poster AAA 2020: The Speech Perception (SP) Gap: What it is and why audiologists should care. April 2020, New Orleans, LA. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19
- Poster: COSM 2020: CI outcomes in the Very Elderly, April 2020, Atlanta, GA. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19
- Poster: COSM 2020: SP GAP, April 2020, Atlanta, GA. Conference cancelled due to COVID-19
- Poster: AAO 2019. Hearing Preservation in Cochlear Implant Recipients. S. Bourn, M.R. Goldstein, A. Jacob. AAO-HNSF 2019 Annual Meeting & OTO Experience, September 2019 Austin, TX
- Poster: COSM 2019. Hearing Preservation in Elderly Cochlear Implant Recipients. S. Bourn, M.R. Goldstein, A. Jacob. April 2019.
- University of Arizona Cochlear Implant Lab Presentation, Middle Ear Implants, 2018-2021
- University of Northern Colorado, Grand Rounds: Early Osia Experience, HA Validation with SP Gap, April 2020
- Arizona State Dispensing License
- Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology, FAAA
- ASHA, CCA-A
- University of Arizona
Doctor of Audiology, Speech, Language, and Hearing Science (2015)
- University of Arizona
Bachelor of Science, Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (2011)